Mac & Cheese (with Almond Milk)
I swapped out the dairy milk for our almond milk in this classic mac & cheese recipe and it came out pretty darn good. I did stick with the real cheese and butter, however, so I gotta warn you that it's not vegan. With Thanksgiving just next week, this dish is an easy recipe to lighten the heaviness of that meal -- and try it out on your dairy-loving relatives; we bet they'll never know the difference. Cheers! - Bess
Mac & Cheese (made with almond milk)
1 lb macaroni
3 tbsp butter
2 c. Treehouse Almond Milk
1.5 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
1.5 c. freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 panko break crumbs
1. Bring pot of water to boil and cook macaroni. Preheat oven to 350.
2. While macaroni is cooking, heat butter in saucepan, stir in found mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in flour, stirring to create a roux.
3. Slowly add the almond milk, 1/4 cup at a time. Add cheese and continue to whisk another 4 minutes. Take off heat
4. When macaroni is just about done, but still a little tough, drain and mix with the cheese mixture.
5. Pour mixture into casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake for another 10 minutes or until it has a crispy golden crust on top.